Can you Do THAT tomorrow?
I learned this trick from Barbara Sher's book,
Refuse to Choose
, for figuring out how to get going on a big project.
- Determine what you want to accomplish
- Ask yourself, "Can I do that tomorrow?"
- If the answer is yes, then put it on your to-do list for tomorrow. If the answer is no, ask yourself, "What do I need to do first?"
- Looking at what you would need to do first, ask yourself, "Can I do that tomorrow?"
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you find something that you can actually do.
It's handy to write down all the steps, so that once you've finished your Yes-I-can-do-that task, you can go one step back up the tree and say, "Can I do that tomorrow?" instead of starting the entire process over again.
Doesn't sound like you? Go back to Time Management Hacks and look for a time management technique that fits you better.